Friday, May 1, 2009

Autophobia

Violet has started to be very distressed by riding in the car, an unwelcome development to say the least.  Grace did the same thing for quite a while, and it makes sense, I suppose-- I myself would not enjoy sitting all strapped in facing backwards where all I could see was the backseat of the car.  And then there's the fact that babies really just want to be held all the time.  Grace finally started to tolerate auto travel better when we could turn around her car seat to face forwards, but that is many, many months away for Violet.  In the meantime, it seems that it doesn't matter if Violet is full and dry and otherwise lacking in anything wrong with her; the car seat is anathema.

I may have discovered a way to pacify her, however, which has worked 2 out the 2 times I have tried it.  I put on a CD (this one in particular) and turned it up REALLY LOUD.  As you may be deducing, this was originally just a ploy on my part to drown out her incessant wailing but it turns out that it stopped her from crying.  Hooray!  On the downside, this cuts down on my NPR time.  And since NPR is pretty much my only source of news (aside from The Daily Show and The Colbert Report a few times a week) I am becoming increasingly less well-informed about the goings on in the world as the days pass.  It's just all about swine flu, right?

I do miss all those kooky NPR folk and their crazy, unlikely names (except for Daniel Schorr who is my NEMESIS).  There must be some effect at work to cause journalists with unusual names to end up at NPR.  This post explains how each of us can create our own NPR name.  According to those rules, I would be Julida Castiglione-Fiorentino and I would be married to Rolbert Galeana.  AWESOME.

3 comments:

Kiki said...

That stinks. Levi seems to have grown out of the autophobia. But we still have some rather loud rides. And Sage saying "Levi please stop screaming."

Music seemed to work for him too.

Have you tried one of those mirrors so they can see themselves? I have one, on the floor of the van. It hasn't been installed yet.

Colleen said...

Love the name! I don't know the smallest foreign town I've been to, but I like Collepen Wellington Station.

Ciaran also had/has car terrors! They seem to have gotten better since we took a driving trip to the Berkshires, strangely enough. He must have discovered that his car seat was fun. Or something. Glad the CD helps! The Amazon CD write-up looks totally cute. How did you find the CD?

Julia said...

Shockingly enough, we originally heard about that Elizabeth Mitchell CD on NPR. :)