It is more or less official today as Rob has agreed to his contract with Intermountain Healthcare. (It can't technically be signed until one more committee meets later this month, but I think it's close enough now to go public and call it decided.) Rob feels really enthusiastic about this job; working for a big nonprofit like IHC is going to be a good match for Rob's interests and professional preferences. When we were visiting Salt Lake earlier this spring, he came out of his interviews with some of the IHC people saying that the doctors who work there seem to spend their time doing what everyone says they go to med school for, which is high praise indeed. If you've been reading along this spring, you know that initially we had some reservations about Utah because of the dominant religious culture, but after several visits there and lots of research and talking with people who live there, we think it is going to be a really good fit for us and a fun, interesting place to live. We are excited about the amazing natural beauty and the fun vibe of the close-in neighborhoods and all the possibilities of starting a new life for ourselves there.
Rob is actually there right now, as I type this very sentence, on a house-hunting trip. He met in person with some IHC people today, which is when the last details of the contract got hammered out, and then he spent time going around with the realtor looking at apartments and houses and whatnot. We are renting to start with, mostly because our house here hasn't sold, although taking some time to look for a house at a more leisurely rate also plays into that choice. We have bought two houses so far in our marriage, both of which we chose in whirlwind 4-day trips where we saw 20+ houses all at once and then picked one. I would not mind doing things in a bit less slapdash manner. Anyway, we are hoping to get a 6-month lease somewhere and then think about buying once Rob gets settled into his job and HOPEFULLY HOPEFULLY HOPEFULLY our house here sells. We have been giving lots of thought (and realtor discussions) as to whether I stay behind Rob to keep the house furnished for showings but I think we've decided that we are going to stick together and just all move at once. When, you ask? When are we going to all pick up and move? IN. A. MONTH.