Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bleargh...

Ugh, Violet had what was probably her worst night on record last night.  This just goes to show me 1) what an excellent sleeper she normally is and 2) that I should not tempt fate by staying up too late thinking that it will be fine.  It was NOT fine.  She (along with Rob and Grace) has been fighting a cold of some kind and apparently last night the congestion got the better of her and she just could not sleep.  It was eventually so bad that I actually got out of bed with her; I think this is the first time I have ever gotten out of my bed in the middle of the night with her, at least since those very early days.  She was so unsettled that she was keeping Rob up so we got up and went to the computer where I showed her space walks from the current space shuttle mission (very lulling and drowsy-making yet beautiful) and I browsed some wool diaper cover options.

We did eventually make it back to sleep but this morning found me veeeeeeery out of it.  On the way back from dropping Grace off at preschool, I violated my trying-to-lose-weight, no-processed-food, environmental priorities and got a breakfast burrito at Sonic.  I had already had a smoothie for breakfast but the sleepiness made me desperate for more food.  This is a common reaction for me to sleep deprivation; I feel like my body says, "Fine!  You're not going to sleep?  Well, I have to run on something so give me FOOD."  I always ate a lot during my observing runs during grad school when I stayed up all night at the telescope.  And hey!  It turns out there is scientific evidence that this actually happens.

I was really thankful that Grace had school today so that I could sleep while Violet napped when we got back from dropping her off.  Today is her last day, however, until late August when she will start again at the same little place in the next class with a new teacher.  They are having a party with games and such today, and then it is officially summer vacation.  I'm not sure that she needs a vacation from all the paint and Play-Doh and singing and playground time, but it will be fun to spend more time with her and not have to get us all up and dressed and fed and out the door on those mornings.  I am losing my "get-stuff-done" time but I think we will manage.

Tonight Rob and I are meeting with a financial planner who specializes in physicians.  Apparently, he will not always be in training and making a resident/fellow/post-doc level salary and then we are going to need plans for our money beyond squeezing the grocery budget until the next paycheck.  Or so they tell me.  I'll believe it when I see it.  In the process of getting ready for this meeting, we have had discussions about our goals and plans for the future and where we see ourselves in 10 years.  So here's mine:  I have 3 or 4 children (I haven't convinced Rob on the 4th one yet) all school-aged and I teach physics and astronomy as an adjunct at some little college while they are in school, but I don't work too much so I still have time for working out and sewing and other ventures.  I weigh 30 lbs less than I do now, and we have a vegetable garden and a few chickens (again, Rob still needs convincing) and a dog.  We live in a house with 3 bedrooms (maybe 4, if we need a guest room because we live far away from family) and 2 living areas in a city where Rob can bike to work and we can walk to fun things near our house and it's not too hot in the summer (for me) or too cold in the winter (for Rob).  Maybe it would be more accurate to say this is where I see myself in 10 years IN MY DREAMS.

8 comments:

amydove said...

Your dreams sound great, perhaps minus the chickens. Here's hoping that I meet a man in New York that can help me out with achieving some of them for myself!

Kiki said...

Your dream do sound great. It makes me think of where I want to be in 10 years, hm, might be a good blog post idea.

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

If you decide you need "me time" this summer, Katherine's MDO is all year. That or we could trade kids here and there to get some mommy time.

Kimberly said...

So THAT's it. I am not sleeping enough.

Thomas gets up about three times a night to nurse. We cosleep, but it is not terribly easy for me to nurse lying down, so I leave it for the 6 am feed. Broken sleep is the worst. I consider myself lucky to get three hours at a time.

Blragh is right.

Eva said...

Your dream sounds reasonable enough to come close to true. I hope it does. Oh, and I don't see anything wrong with having chickens.

Unknown said...

Wow- your dreams sound so much like mine. We are looking for that perfect little town too- we'll see how Amhearst pans out. Meting w/financial planner too- looking forward to breathe a little bit with the finances. And hear you on the ugh at night. We had got Evan only nursing once at night and sleeping well, but then he got a bad chest cold. After SIX weeks of coughing all night until he threw up the doc finally gave him an inhaler- and he is better in like 3 days. Now I can't sleep! Feel like I am just a spectre walking through the world at the moment, trying to lug around my 20+lb (but super cute) baby.

Emily said...

Your dreams don't sound too unreasonable to me, either. Maybe we should try to be neighbors somewhere...if you find that perfect location, let me know!

Oh, your blog reminded me of a conversation I had with some friends while Cam was in law school. It went something like this:

them: "It must be nice to know that you'll be financially well-off someday."
me: "well, you never know."

Who knew we were destined for the career of a humble public servant? Maybe he'll go to a law firm and then, we too, will need plans for actually making "real" money. Like you, I'll believe it when it happens. Until then, frugal mommies unite!

angie.a said...

In MY dreams, I'm your next door neighbor!!!